Ticket #11982 (closed Bug: fixed)
“Read More” links ambiguous
|Reported by:||rmattb||Owned by:||rmattb|
Description (last modified by rmattb) (diff)
Links should be understandable out of context. Screen reader users often browse through a list of all the links on a page (without the surrounding text) and “Read More...” appears over and over, which is ambiguous. This appears in the Summary View, for example.
All of the following:
- Before “Read More...” or "More...", add hidden text of the item title and a dash for screen readers to make the links semantically meaningful. For example, <span class=”hiddenStructure”>[title] - </span>, where [title] is generated by a tal expression.
- Allow people to use the item title link by styling it clearly as a link. This link is in place, but for people who are color-impaired, it is not clearly styled with border-bottom. This is detailed in #11983, which also covers other heading links.
- (Nice to have, but more work) Provide a checkbox in site setup to display or hide the "Read More..." block. Use cases for quickly finding reference information, such as intranets, may be better served *without* "Read More...", but use cases for maximizing site stickiness, such as marketing sites, may be better served *with* "Read More...".
"Read More..." links are present in these listing view templates:
"More..." links are present in these portlet view templates & test:
These files were found in a Plone 4.2 development instance with:
- grep -ri "more&hellip" eggs/* | grep -v ".svn" | grep -v "LC_MESSAGES" | grep -v "Binary file "
- grep -ri "more&hellip" src/* | grep -v ".svn" | grep -v "LC_MESSAGES" | grep -v "Binary file "
- Description modified (diff)
- Summary changed from “Read more” links ambiguous to “Read More” links ambiguous
comment:25 Changed 3 years ago by rmattb
- Version set to 4.1
comment:31 Changed 3 years ago by par117
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Resolution fixed deleted