Ticket #12908 (closed PLIP: fixed)
|Reported by:||vangheem||Owned by:||vangheem|
Description (last modified by vangheem) (diff)
Proposer: Nathan Van Gheem
Seconder: David Glick
Currently, plone syndication is not very robust. Some of the current shortcomings include:
- No way to customize how the RSS feed is rendered per content type
- No way to disable showing author username on feed with out customizing the template
- Syndication settings are not enabled by default.
- Currently, most integrators utilize Products.basesyndication with Products.fatsyndication in order to have better syndication. Plone really needs this sort of functionality in core.
- Data stored in unnecessary tool when it could be in registry
- Should use annotation storage for feed settings
Update the current syndication framework in Products.CMFPlone.
- Remove skin layer related rss and syndication settings--move to views.
- Provide additional atom, itunes, feed format.
- Be able to select which feed types are available.
- Provide 4 OOTB feed types(rss 1.0, rss 2.0, atom, itunes)
- Provide control panel to edit site feed settings
- Be able to disable search feed(search_rss)
- Be able to enable/disable syndication settings button portal action
- Be able to enable/disable syndication link portal action
- Implement feed rendering with adapters that can easily be overridden and customized by developers to provide customized feeds. This is similar to how Products.fatsyndication does syndication.
- Have feed rendering respect "Allow anyone to view 'about' information" for author field in feed item so sites can prevent their user's usernames and information from being published.
- All code will be in Products.CMFPlone, let's not make any new packages ;)
- Migrate all syndication_information objects to annotation storage
- Migrate portal_syndication tool to use registry, views and utilities
Initial implementation is done.
Missing migration yet and more tests.
Very little risk since we're staying backward compatible with the old /RSS urls.
There may be a little bit of risk to existing product developers that use Products.fatsyndication will need to be aware that core plone will supersede it.
- Type changed from Bug to PLIP
- Component changed from Unknown to Templates/CSS
- Milestone changed from 4.x to 4.3
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Owner set to vangheem
- Status changed from assigned to confirmed
- Description modified (diff)