Ticket #13114 (closed Bug: fixed)
Non-ASCII characters in passwords don't work
|Reported by:||khink||Owned by:|
|Keywords:||login, encoding, patch||Cc:|
Description (last modified by khink) (diff)
Using special characters (like German umlauts) in passwords doesn't seem to work, and doesn't give a proper message to the user.
Steps to reproduce:
- Create a new 4.2 site
- Enable self-registration and allow users to pick their own passwords
- Register a new user, set "äaaaa" as password
- Portal message reports an error: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128), but the main area of the overlay reads "Welcome! You have been registered. Click the button to log in immediately."
- Clicking the "Log in" button gives a "login failed" error message.
- Re-entering the loginname and password gives the same result, ie. the user cannot log in.
Proposed solution: A validator that forbids special characters in passwords and produces a decent explanation for users.
- Description modified (diff)
- Summary changed from Umlauts in passwords don't work to Special characters in passwords don't work
- Keywords encoding, patch added; encoding removed
- Status changed from new to confirmed
- Component changed from Unknown to General
- Summary changed from Special characters in passwords don't work to Non-ASCII characters in passwords don't work