Ticket #9352 (closed PLIP: fixed)
Improved search results
|Reported by:||laurenskling||Owned by:||spliter|
|Keywords:||search||Cc:||plip-advisories@…, dthomas218, potzenheimer, eleddy, ggozad|
Description (last modified by elvix) (diff)
“Search-dominant” navigating is one of the three popular ways to reach goals on a website. Search isn't just useful for finding content, it's how many people navigate. The search of Plone could do better to help these people. Here are some small adjustments that could help out big time. (this PLIP is only about normal search, not advanced or live search). Plone uses search extensively. The search forms and results have, however, not been improved in a long time. There are several small steps that can be done to make the presentation of search results much more comfortable and practical to use.
- Location (path/URL) One of the main things the search results are missing is the location of the item. If you archive old items in folders called 'archive', try searching that one archive folder you are looking for. Adding the location (URL) gives users feed forward about the item. Google has a nice url display in green. This one can possibly (depending on performance impact) be improved even further by listing the titles of containing folders rather than their path.
- Relevance. I have never understood the relevance of showing the relevance. It just adds noise and doesn't help the user. Sorting by relevance helps, not printing the relevance.
- Search only in current section. Plone gives the opportunity to search within current section, which sadly is gone on the new plone.org. When checked, the resultpage doesn't give any feedback that the results are only from the certain section. It also doesn't give the opportunity to search again within this section. Adding a simple line states “searched in <section>” and a checkbox to search within it again could solve this.
- Sorting. The search results can't be sorted in any way at the moment. Sort by: relevance (i.e the default), date (newest first), alphabetically
- easy-to-read dates: "Last modified Nov 10, 2007 10:43 PM" is painful to read. "Last modified 2 weeks ago" makes sense when you read results and is more scannable.
- Left align the description with the title, so the results are less painful to read.
- A search results view that supports sorting
- Updated ZPT and CSS for presenting the search results
Potential of small performance loss by looking up real names and folder paths.
Search should stay as easy as possible. Adding checkboxes to (normal) search makes it bigger then “just type and press enter”. If the the checkbox is unchecked by default this is still a simple searchbar, so I do not see any problems. Sorting search results will make the page need adjustments, there has to come a good UI for it.
Implemented in plone.app.search
- Cc plip-advisories@… added
- Keywords email@example.com removed
comment:27 Changed 6 years ago by spliter
- Status changed from assigned to new
- Owner changed from elvix to spliter
comment:30 Changed 6 years ago by limi
- Priority changed from minor to n/a
- Milestone changed from 4.x to 4.1
comment:32 Changed 6 years ago by rossp
- Summary changed from combination of search results plips to Improved search results
comment:66 Changed 6 years ago by potzenheimer
- Cc potzenheimer added
- Priority changed from n/a to major
comment:155 Changed 5 years ago by esteele
- Status changed from assigned to closed
- Resolution set to fixed