How to Triage Bugs
Please note that this is a work in progress. We currently have no official triage system so this is subject to change as things get worked out.
Keep in mind that the most important thing we can do is make sure people feel like at least 1 person has seen their complaint. If it's not legit, don't keep their dreams alive by just letting it float by. Be nice, give an explanation, and let them down gently.
The current goal is to get this thing to a sane state where we are able to actually respond to this.
- Untriaged tickets are in a report at https://dev.plone.org/report/61. In addition, we have a huge backlog of tickets that need to be looked at.
- Bugs that have not been *modified* in 9 months will be CLOSED. It's the only sane way we can get this thing back to normal.
- Critical bugs should be reported to esteele immediately by adding him to the cc list and if it's really bad, give him a poke in IRC.
- Every bug should have a milestone, version, and component. If you can add additional tags for sorting, that would be great!
- Feature requests should NO LONGER be moved to http://plone.uservoice.com/. We are in the process of closing that out.
- If the bug is for an add-on, please be kind enough to look up the add-ons bug tracker, file there and close the ticket. Then make sure the add-on author is not linking to the plone.org bug tracker in their plone.org listing. If they are, add the maintainer to the cc and keep the ticket open for now with a nice message in the comments.
- Don't forget to triage your own tickets! Report for that is at https://dev.plone.org/report/13
- Some tickets are in other languages. At the moment I think the best way to help with this is to redirect to mailing lists and irc channels. Here is a partial list:
Many things are officially unsupported in Plone and we need to focus our resources on other things. If you approach one of these tickets, please validate that it still isn't present in a supported release, and if not tell the reporter the version you tested on has it fixed and close it with a keyword of "unsupported". This applies to:
- Plone 2,3 (be sure to validate that the bug is missing from 4.-latest**)
Soon to be unsupported officially, but unofficially no one cares:
|What||Deprecated starting at version|
|Working Copy (Iterate)||4.4|
Plone has a lot of things that need ripped out so please reference Plone Core Cleanup to see what is happening and add things to the list above as needed.
The better a ticket is tagged the easier it is for people to find relevant tasks. Tagging a ticket is easy! In the keywords field, just use a comma separated list. Here are some tags and what they mean.
|Tag||What it means|
|greenbelt||Good for beginners|
|PAS||Pluggable Auth System (PAS) bugs|
|patch||Has a patch that needs to be reviewed and committed|
|tuneup||A quick fix that would be good for tuneups|
|unsupported||a ticket for a plone version that is officially unsupported|
|upstream||the bug looks like a Plone bug, but is actually an underlying package (usually Zope)|
A short guidance which resolution is the best to set.
|Resolution is||Fits well for|
|wontfix||Unsupported issues (remember to check these not being valid with Plone-4.x)|
|invalid||Completely whack stuff that makes no sense|
|duplicate||This is a duplicate of another issue. Make sure to reference the duplicate ticket number in the comments|
|fixed||Issue has been resolved|
The milestone should almost always be set to 4.x.
|Milestone is||Fits well for|
|4.1 or 4.2||Release manager usually assigns these.|
|4.x||Just about everything. When in doubt, choose 4.x|
|Future||Feature requests and plips not yet targeted at any specific release.|
Here is a general guideline for choosing components.
|Component||Fits well for|
|Archetypes||Archetypes bugs. Will eventually be all deprecated|
|Backend (Python)||Bugs requiring mostly python work, hardcore ploning|
|Bounty Mission||This should only be set by Plone Foundation guys I guess|
|Commenting/Discussion||Bugs in plone.app.discussion, any commenting bugs|
|CommitAccess||Requests for collective and/or core commit access|
|Content Rules||Content Rules bugs|
|Documentation||Documentation for anywhere, even on plone.org. Create/update/delete all valid|
|General||Everything that doesn't fit nicely into any other category. May touch both front and back end. Specific to Plone|
|Installers||Windows, Linux, and mac installer issues|
|Jenkins CI access||commit access for people wanting to add jobs to jenkins.plone.org|
|Planet Plone||Requests to list a blog on planet plone|
|RTL||Right to left languages. Should this be merged into internationalization?|
|Sysadmin and Development Infrastructure||Issues with Plone[.org] infrastructure. Outages, SSL issues, etc|
|Templates/CSS||Bugs which are primarily fixable with template and/or css modifications. These are usually good for newbies|
|Theme Editor (Experimental)||Theme Editor bugs|
|Upgrade/Migration||Failed Plone migrations (NOT add ons)|
|User Experience and Interface||Issues with the user experience of Plone.|
|Versioning||Working copy/iterate/content revisions issues|
|Visual Editor||TinyMCE bugs... should we rename to tinymce?|
|Website||Non documentation issues with plone.org|
In some cases, it's best to CC people for certain types of tickets. Since this is hard to know who and what will be interested at the time, I'm leaving the people to be cc'd on this page next to the ticket type. Please feel free to add or remove yourself from the existing categories or add new categories if you are interested in knowing of a ticket as it comes in.
|Installers (windows)||runyaga (enfold)|
If you have questions, please list them below and I will integrate the answers into this document.
- Can't remove myself from cc's, after saving I get 'ida removed from cc' but on reload, 'ida' remains in cc...
- SteveM is no longer supporting the mac installer. Need to find out who is taking over and list here. http://plone.org/foundation/meetings/minutes/minutes-2012-03-01 has: "Érico, together with a few other people in Brazil, have volunteered to step up to the challenge."
- Create template for new tickets directing people to search for existing tickets.